Naples and Sicily 1854 3 ducati Fr-869
This specimen was lot 30232 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $1,527.50. The catalog description noted, "Naples & Sicily. Ferdinando II gold 3 Ducat 1854 MS64 NGC. A small, but highly impressive issue featuring the mature, bearded head of Ferdinando II and standing, winged Genius. Most attractive, semi-reflective fields produce a striking cameo effect upon the devices and other than a few small ticks which are noted in the grade, this is a choice specimen with plenty of appeal." This is a rare date of a five year type.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.78 g, .996 fine gold.
Catalog reference: KM 367, Fr-869.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.