Naples and Sicily 1851 6 ducati Fr-868
This specimen was lot 25179 in Heritage sale 3026 (Long Beach, October 2013), where it sold for $1,762.50. The catalog description noted, "Naples. Ferdinando II gold 6 Ducati 1851, MS61 NGC, lustrous surfaces with moderate handling in the fields, very scarce type." This type was issued 1831-56 in various subtypes for Ferdinand II. All are scarce. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was annexed to Italy in 1860 but remains poor, backward and corrupt.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 7.57 g, .996 fine gold, .242 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 354, Fr-868.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3026, World & Ancient Coins, featuring the RLM Collection, Part Two, the Nogales Collection and the Goetz Medals Die Archive, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.