Naples and Sicily 1850 15 ducati Fr-867
This specimen was lot 31441 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $3,120. The catalog description noted, "Naples & Sicily. Ferdinand II gold 15 Ducati 1850 MS60 NGC. Stunning imagery over both sides, sharply rendered and lightly frosted against the lustrous, semi-reflective fields. The effects of typical post-strike handling is observed in the open areas, aligning with the designation and common for the issue. Flashy and very attractive in this Mint State format." This type was issued 1845-56 for Ferdinand II. All are scarce. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was annexed to Italy in 1860 but remains poor, backward and corrupt.
Recorded mintage: 6,220.
Specification: 18.93 g, .996 fine gold, 29.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Mont-697, KM 359, Fr-867, Pag-153.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.