Naples and Sicily 1848 20 grana
This specimen was lot 561 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $726. The catalog description noted, "ITALY, Regno delle Due Sicilie. Ferdinando II. 1830-1859. AR 20 Grana. Napoli (Naples) mint. Dated 1848/7. In NGC encapsulation graded MS 66. Gem toned specimen with beautiful iridescent toning. Highest ever graded for the denomination. A wonderful coin." This type was struck 1839-59 and is supposedly common in circulated condition.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.59 g, .833 fine silver, 21.5 mm diameter; this specimen Ø21 mm, 4.60 g, 6h axis.
Catalog reference: KM 332 (formerly KM C151a).
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.