Naples and Sicily 1848 15 ducati Fr-867
This specimen was lot 21253 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Chicago, August 2019), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Naples & Sicily. 15 Ducati, 1848/7. Naples Mint. Ferdinand II. NGC MS-60. A rather scarce type, especially this date, which happens to feature an overdate as well. Brilliantly lustrous, though a fair number of bag marks and hairlines are noted, and are wholly consistent with the grade assigned." This type was issued 1845-56 for Ferdinand II. All are scarce. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was annexed to Italy in 1860 but remains poor, backward and corrupt.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 18.93 g, .996 fine gold, 29.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM-359; Fr-867.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The August 2019 Chicago ANA Auction: World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.