Naples and Sicily 1818 120 grana Dav-170
This was the third piastra issue of the restored Bourbon ruler who had taken refuge in Sicily during the Napoleonic invasions. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was annexed to Italy in 1860 but remains poor, backward and corrupt. Montenegro notes thirteen varieties of the large head and eleven of the small head type shown here.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.53 g, .833 fine silver, .737 troy oz ASW, 38 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Dav-170, KM 285 (formerly C126a), Mont-578.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.