Naples and Sicily 1817 8 tornesi
This specimen was lot 3997 in Stack's-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Naples & Sicily. 8 Tornesi, 1817. NGC EF-45 BN. RARE. Chocolate brown patina." This issue of 1816-18 is the only one of this denomination in the nineteenth century. It is scarce and rare in nice condition. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was annexed to Italy in 1860 but remains poor, backward and corrupt. Eight tornesi was four grana.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 24.95 g, copper, 35 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM-273.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2015 NYINC Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the John W. Adams and Ray Czabor Collections, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.