Naples and Sicily 1799-PM AP 120 grana Dav-1409
This specimen was lot 6841 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $470. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Naples & Sicily. Piastre of 120 Grana, 1799-P MAP. Ferdinand IV of Bourbon (1759-1816). PCGS AU-55 Secure Holder. Mottled multicolored tone. Ex: Stack's December 9-10, 1992, Lot # 4240." This type was struck 1795-1800; 1799 is a better date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.26 g, .833 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-C66b; Gig-63; Mont-338, Dav-1409.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.