Naples and Sicily 1766-CC R 6 ducati Fr-846
"Ferdinando IV. (I.), 1759-1825 6 Ducati 1766 über 65. Äusserst seltene Erhaltung. Prachtvolle Erhaltung. FDC. (kingdom of Naples and Sicily, Ferdinand IV, 1759-1825, six ducati of 1766. Extremely rare conditon, Cabinet piece. Brilliant uncirculated. NGC MS 65+.)"Charles II, the last Hapsburg king of Spain, was also king of Naples and Sicily. After his death the area passed out of the hands of the Spanish crown, only to be reconquered by them in the 1730's. Ferdinand IV was the third son of Charles III, king of Spain 1759-88 and the younger brother of Charles IV. This type was struck 1760-67 and is priced quite low in the SCWC. Despite the six ducati denomination, it is not a true six ducat coin, having only enough gold for about two and a half ducats.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.79 g, .906 fine gold.
Catalog reference: MIR 352/13, KM 167 (formerly KM C75), Fr-846a.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Jürg Richter, Auction 38, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.