Naples and Sicily 1755-DG MMR 6 ducati Fr-843
This specimen was lot 6838 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $705. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Naples & Sicily. 6 Ducati, 1755-DG MMR. Carlo di Bourbon (1734-59). NGC AU-55. 'HISPAN' in reverse legend. Nice example with only some light even wear to low relief bust with no detracting marks or surfaces issues. Considerable remaining luster with medium toning on reverse and some light hues in periphery." Charles II, the last Hapsburg king of Spain, was also king of Naples and Sicily. After his death the area passed out of the hands of the Spanish crown, only to be reconquered by them in the 1730's. Charles III later became king of Spain 1759-88. This type was struck 1749-55 and is priced quite low in the SCWC. Despite the six ducati denomination, it is not a true six ducat coin, having only enough gold for about two and a half ducats.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.79 g, .906 fine gold, .256 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-843; KM-153 (formerly C28); Gig-7; Mont-12; MIR-331/6.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.