Naples 1810 12 carlini Dav-166
"ITALIEN Neapel - Sizilien Gioacchino Murat, 1808-1813. 12 Carlini 1810. Fast vorzüglich. (kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Joachim Murat, 1808-13, twelve carlini of 1810, nice extremely fine.)"The second specimen was lot 6835 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $763.75. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Kingdom of Naples. 12 Carlini (Piastra), 1810. PCGS AU-53 Secure Holder. Legend ends with 'SICIL'. Nicely struck with lovely multicolored tone showing hues of blue and red. Ex: Stack's December 9-10, 1992, Lot # 4250." After the collapse of the Parthenopean Republic in 1799, king Ferdinand was restored. French troops returned in 1805 and Napoleon's brother Joseph was installed as king (see Dav-165). In 1808, he was called away to be king of Spain and one of Napoleon's generals, Joachim Murat, assumed the throne. This twelve carlini was issued 1809-10 before the coinage was decimalized 1810-13 (see Dav-167). King Ferdinand was restored in 1815.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.53 g, .833 fine silver, the first specimen 27.54 g.
Catalog reference: Pag 46. KM-250; Gig-2b; Mont-417, Davenport-166.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals & Banknotes, Auction 11, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2013.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.