Mexico 1902-Mo M 10 pesos
This specimen was lot 40284 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $1,939. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 10 Pesos, 1902-Mo M. NGC MS-64." This expensive type would be even rarer were it not that many examples were hoarded as Mexican silver became overvalued. Finally, in 1905, the Diaz regime devalued the silver peso 50% and issued a new series of gold coins half the weight of their predecessors.
Recorded mintage: 719.
Specification: 16.92 g, .875 fine gold, .476 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-128; KM-413.7.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Harris, Robert P., A Guide Book of Modern Latin American Coins, Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing Co., 1966.
- Utberg, Neil S., The Coins of [[Mexico], 1536-1963, San Antonio, TX, 1963.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- Mexico 1902-C centavo
- Mexico 1902-Cn Q 5 centavos
- 1902-MO 5 centavos
- Mexico 1902-Zs Z 10 centavos
- Mexico 1902-Cn Q 20 centavos
- Mexico 1902-Mo M 20 centavos
- Mexico 1902-Zs Z 20 centavos
- Mexico 1902-Mo AM peso
- Mexico 1902-Zs FZ peso
- Mexico 1902-Cn Q peso oro
- Mexico 1902-Mo M peso oro
- 1902-Mo 5 pesos
- 1902-Cn 20 pesos
- 1902-MO 20 pesos
- 1903-Mo 10 pesos
- Coins and currency dated 1902
- return to Decimal coinage of the Republic of Mexico, 1863-1905