Mexico 1862-Ho FM 8 reales
The first specimen was lot 6350 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $2,875. The catalog description noted, "Hermosillo. 8 Reales, 1862-FM. Sonora cap and eagle, reeded edge. Toned EXTREMELY FINE."
The second specimen was lot 6351 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $1,725. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Hermosillo. 8 Reales, 1862-FM. Sonora cap and Mexican eagle. Slightly weak strike, a few tiny scratches, dipped. Lustrous EXTREMELY FINE-ALMOST UNCIRCULATED."
The third specimen was lot 6352 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $7,475. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Hermosillo. 8 Reales, 1862-FM. Extremely RARE 1860 8 Reales With Mexican Cap and Eagle. Mexican cap and eagle. EXTREMELY RARE, probably fewer than 6 known examples. Ex: Ponterio Auction #142, lot #618 where it hammered for $7,000. Far superior to the DP plate coin, and possibly the finest known. Slightly weak strike, very attractive. ALMOST UNCIRCULATED." The Hermosillo mint struck eight reales 1861-95 and this date, like most Hermosillo eight reales of 1861-67, is rare. A few eight reales are known from the 1830's but they were probably illegal issues as the mint was not then authorized to strike silver.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver, .786 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 377.9, DP-Ho02.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, The November 2010 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2010.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.