Mexico 1861-Ho FM 8 reales
This specimen was lot 6348 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $4,887.50. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Hermosillo. 8 Reales, 1861-FM. Among The Finest Known 1861 Hermosillo 8 Reales. Wide 'H', second '1' in date made with an 'I' punch. VERY RARE and one of the finest known. NGC AU-50." The Hermosillo mint struck eight reales 1861-95 and this date, like most Hermosillo eight reales of 1861-67, is rare. A few eight reales are known from the 1830's but they were probably illegal issues as the mint was not then authorized to strike silver.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver, .786 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 377.9, DP-Ho01.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, The November 2010 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2010.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Sinaloa 1861 ¼ real
- Sonora 1861 ¼ real
- 1861-Mo ½ real
- 1861-C real
- 1861-Mo real
- 1861-C 2 reales
- 1861-Mo 2 reales
- 1861-Mo 4 reales
- 1861-O 4 reales
- 1861-C 8 reales
- 1861-Do 8 reales
- 1861-Ga 2 escudos
- 1861-Ga 8 escudos
- 1862-Ho 8 reales
- 1862-C 8 reales
- 1862-O 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1861
- return to Silver eight reales of Mexico, 1822-1897