Mexico 1856-Pi MC 8 reales
The specimen shown is an 1856Pi-MC eight reales from the San Luis Potosi mint, which struck the type 1827-93. This date is one of several scarce dates (1849-60) issued during the War of the Reform. The earlier issues of 1831-48 and later issues of 1861-93 are more available. The San Luis Potosi mint closed in 1895, having struck most of the silver and copper denominations but never issued gold. The SCWC lists no overdates or varieties for the year. This specimen was lot 6444 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $287.50. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Potosi. 8 Reales, 1856-MC. Dots in obverse legend. ALMOST UNCIRCULATED."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver, .786 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 377.12, DP-Pi35.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, The November 2010 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2010.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Harper, David C. [Ed.], North American Coins & Prices, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- 1855-Pi 8 reales
- Guanajuato ¼ real
- 1856-Pi ½ real
- 1856-GA 4 reales
- 1856-Go 4 reales
- 1856-MO 4 reales
- 1856-Pi 4 reales
- 1856-Ca 8 reales
- 1856-GA 8 reales
- 1856-Mo 8 reales
- 1856-C ½ escudo
- 1856-Mo ½ escudo
- 1856-Ga escudo
- 1856-Mo escudo
- 1856-MO 8 escudos
- 1857-Pi 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1856
- return to Silver eight reales of Mexico, 1822-1897