Mexico 1844-GC MP 8 reales
The first specimen was struck at the Guadalupe y Calvo mint in 1844. This mint was open 1844-52 and assayer MP is the only one recorded for that mint, which struck all the silver and gold denominations, from the quarter real to the eight escudos. Of the fourteen mints which struck silver pesos, only Catorce and Estado de Mexico are scarcer. This specimen was lot 6368 in Ponterio sale 154 (Baltimore, June 2008) where it sold for $2,415. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 8 Reales, 1844-GCMP. RARE date and exceptional condition. BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED." This rare first year of issue is valued at several multiples of more common dates for the mint such as 1849.
The second specimen was lot 6317 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $1,035. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Guadalupe Y Calvo. 8 Reales, 1844-MP. Normal legends. Nice strike, one small edge nick, dipped, nearly full mint luster. Attractive ALMOST UNCIRCULATED."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver, .786 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 377.7, DP-GC01.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 154: The June Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2010.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, The November 2010 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2010.
- 1841-Pi 8 reales
- 1844-GC ¼ real
- 1844-Ga ½ real
- 1844-Ca ½ real
- 1844-Zs 2 reales
- 1844-Ga 4 reales
- 1844-GC 4 reales
- 1844-Go 4 reales
- 1844-Do 8 reales
- 1844-Ga 8 reales
- 1844-Mo 8 reales
- 1844-Do ½ escudo
- 1844-Ga 4 escudos
- 1844-GC 8 escudos
- 1845-GC 8 reales
- 1846-GC 4 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1844
- On the coinage of the Guadalupe y Calvo mint
- return to Silver eight reales of Mexico, 1822-1897