Mexico 1836/5-Ga JG 2 escudos
The first specimen was lot 31205 in Heritage sale 3035 (Long Beach, September 2014), where it sold for $822.50. The catalog description noted, "Republic gold 2 Escudos 1836/5 Ga-JG AU58 NGC, Guadalajara mint. Choice About Uncirculated, with only slight friction evidence and considerable subdued luster. A rare date, with the present example specifically mentioned in Long's authoritative reference as "purchased by an advanced, knowledgeable collector." The second specimen was lot 541 in Morton & Eden sale 104 (London, November 2019), where it sold for £550 (about US$852 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted, "Republic, 2 escudos, Guadalajara mint, 1836/5 JG, good extremely fine." Another similarly astute collector will undoubtedly recognize the scarcity and significance of this attractive specimen and add his name to its pedigree. From The FoxLair Collection." Guadalajara struck two escudos 1835-41, 1847-63 and 1870 and is the second commonest mint after Mexico City. No regular dates are recorded for 1836.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .875 fine gold, .190 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 380.3, Fr-91.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, and Warren Tucker, Heritage Signature Auction 3035, World and Ancient Coins, featuring the FoxLair Collection and the Law Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Long, Richard A., Gold Coins of the Early Mexican Republic, 1823-1873, North Bend, OR: Wegferd Publications, 2004.
- Eden, Tom, James Morton, David Kirk and Menelaos Danellis, Morton & Eden sale 104, Ancient Coins and the Mexico Collection, London: Morton & Eden, 2019.
- 1835-Ga 2 escudos
- Zacatecas 1836 1/8 real
- Sonora 1836 1/4 real
- 1836-MO ¼ real
- 1836-MO ½ real
- 1836-DO real
- 1836-ZS real
- 1836-ZS 2 reales
- 1836-GO 4 reales
- 1836-DO 8 reales
- 1836-GA FS 8 reales
- 1836-GA JG 8 reales
- 1836-MO 8 reales
- 1836-PI 8 reales
- 1836-DO ½ escudo
- 1836-DO escudo
- 1836-GO 4 escudos
- 1836-DO 8 escudos
- 1836-GA 8 escudos
- 1840-Ga 2 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1836
- return to Mexican imperial and republican coinage, 1822-1905