Mexico 1830-Pi JS 8 reales
This eight reales is one of a series struck 1827-93 at the San Luis Potosi mint. This date is quite scarce compared to the later issues of the 1880's and 1890's but is not rare. The SCWC notes no varieties for the date. Assayer JS is recorded for 1827-42. The second specimen was lot 6434 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $575. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Potosi. 8 Reales, 1830-JS. Nice strike. BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver, .786 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 377.12, DP-Pi05.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, The November 2010 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2010.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- 1828-Pi 8 reales
- 1829-EoMo 8 reales
- 1830-MO 1/8 real
- 1830-MO ¼ real
- San Luis Potosi 1830 1/4 real
- 1830-GO real
- 1830-MO real
- 1830-MO 2 reales
- 1830-ZS 2 reales
- 1830-EOMO 8 reales
- 1830-GA FS 8 reales
- 1830-GA LP 8 reales
- 1830-MO 8 reales
- 1830-MO escudo
- 1830-GA 8 escudos
- 1830-GO 8 escudos
- 1830-MO 8 escudos
- 1831-Pi 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1830
- return to Silver eight reales of Mexico, 1822-1897