Mexico 1830-Ga FS 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 560 in Morton & Eden sale 104 (London, November 2019), where it sold for £1,800 (about US$2,788 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted, "Republic, 8 escudos, Guadalajara mint, 1830 FS, good very fine to extremely fine, with traces of original mint lustre." This denomination was struck at the Guanajuato mint 1825-30, 1836-37, 1840-57, 1861, 1863 and 1866. This is not a rare date for the mint but Guadalaljara is a scarce mint in general, being comparable to Oaxaca or Hermosillo.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .760 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 383.5, fr-70.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Eden, Tom, James Morton, David Kirk and Menelaos Danellis, Morton & Eden sale 104, Ancient Coins and the Mexico Collection, London: Morton & Eden, 2019.
- 1830-MO 1/8 real
- 1830-MO ¼ real
- San Luis Potosi 1830 1/4 real
- 1830-GO real
- 1830-MO real
- 1830-MO 2 reales
- 1830-ZS 2 reales
- 1830-EOMO 8 reales
- 1830-GA FS 8 reales
- 1830-GA LP 8 reales
- 1830-MO 8 reales
- 1830-PI 8 reales
- 1830-MO escudo
- 1830-GO 8 escudos
- 1830-MO 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1830
- return to Mexican imperial and republican coinage, 1822-1905