Mexico 1827-Pi JS 8 reales
Assayer JS, recorded for the years 1827-42, was Juan Sanabria. At this time, the mint was leased to the state of San Luis Potosi. The mint closed in 1893.
"Mexico - Republic. 8 Reales, 1827-Pi-JS (San Luis Potosi). Cap & Rays type. Eagle and snake on cactus. Reverse: Liberty Cap, with rays behind. Strike very soft at center, otherwise coin choice and clean. With remarkable multicolored toning. The first year of production of this type for the San Luis mint. An extremely rare and elusive coin. This coin garnered a mystique among Mexican numismatists and collectors of the early ocho reales series. Only 5 or 6 examples are known, with 2 being in low grade, and another 1 or 2 having been holed. Thus only 2 superior grade examples remain, with this coin being one of them. The coin is virtually as struck. NGC graded MS-60.
"San Luis Potosi was founded in 1592. The city is named after Saint Louis (Louis IX), of France and the rich mines of Potosi, Bolivia, discovered forty years earlier. Yet the Mexican San Luis owes its success to its own gold and silver mines, which helped finance Spain's New World adventures. Today, the city has close to a million inhabitants."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver, .786 troy oz ASW, this specimen: 26.95 grams.
Catalog reference: WR-63; Eliz-801; DP-PI02, KM 377.12.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- 1825-Zs 8 reales
- Zacatecas 1827 1/8 real
- 1827-MO ½ real
- 1827-ZS ½ real
- 1827-MO real
- 1827-MO 2 reales
- 1827-MO 4 reales
- 1827-DO 8 reales
- 1827-GA 8 reales
- 1827-GO MJ 8 reales
- 1827-GO MR 8 reales
- 1827-MO 8 reales
- 1827-ZS 8 reales
- 1827-MO ½ escudo
- 1827-MO escudo
- 1827-MO 2 escudos
- 1827-MO 4 escudos
- 1827-MO 8 escudos
- 1828-Pi 8 reales
- 1830-Pi 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1827
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection
- return to Silver eight reales of Mexico, 1822-1897