Mexico 1825-Mo JM 1/2 escudo
The specimen shown appears to be a 1825/4 but the image is not clear enough to be sure. It is one of a series struck 1825-69 at Mexico City. Long notes this date as the commonest half escudo of any date or mint. Survivors seem to be about equally divided between normal dates and 1825/4's.
The first specimen was lot 3260 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $575. The catalog description noted, "1825 JM 1/2 escudo. Mexico City mint. MS-65 (NGC). Types as above. A splendid, frosty specimen with some prooflike reflectivity on the bright medium golden surfaces. From B. Max Mehl’s sale of the Thomas W. Voetter Collection, January 1943, Lot 111."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.69 g, .875 fine gold, .047 troy oz AGW. This specimen: 1.70 grams, 14.60 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 378.5, Fr-107.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Long, Richard A., Gold Coins of the Early Mexican Republic, 1823-1873, North Bend, OR: Wegferd Publications, 2004.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- 1814-Mo ½ escudo
- Zacatecas 1825 1/4 real
- 1825-GA ½ real
- 1825-MO ½ real
- 1825-MO real
- 1825-GA 2 reales
- 1825-DO 8 reales
- 1825-GO 8 reales, "hook-neck"
- 1825-GO 8 reales, upright eagle
- 1825-MO 8 reales
- 1825-ZS 8 reales
- 1825-GA ½ escudo
- 1825-GA escudo
- 1825-MO escudo
- 1825-MO 2 escudos
- 1825-MO 4 escudos
- 1825-MO 8 escudos
- 1827-Mo ½ escudo
- Coins and currency dated 1825
- other specimens in The Eliasberg Collection
- return to Mexican imperial and republican coinage, 1822-1905