Mexico 1824-Mo JM 8 reales hook-neck
This specimen was lot 6376 in Ponterio sale 155 (Baltimore, November 2010), where it sold for $414. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. Mexico City. 8 Reales 'Hookneck', 1824-JM. Weakly struck in center as usual, a few small edge nicks. VERY FINE." The SCWC lists this date as rare, rarer than the regular eagle also issued in 1824.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver, .786 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-A376.2; HO-MO9 & MR12.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, The November 2010 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2010.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.