Mexico 1815-Mo JJ 8 escudos
This page shows two assayers, JJ and HJ, for the 1815/4 8 escudos. The first specimen was lot 3235 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $4,600. The catalog description noted for lot 3235: "1815/4 JJ 8 escudos. Mexico City mint. MS-62 (NGC). Types as above. Attractive medium gold surfaces display strong lustre and a generous degree of prooflike reflectivity, as well as a bold and crisp strike, quite a lovely coin overall. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."
The second specimen was lot 3234, which sold for $1,150. The catalog description noted, "1815/4 HJ 8 escudos. Mexico City mint. AU-53 (NGC). Types as above. Lustrous medium gold. From B. Max Mehl’s sale of the Thomas W. Voetter Collection, January 1943, Lot 37."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold. Lot 3235: 27.06 grams, 37.20 mm diameter. Lot 3234: 27.03 grams, 36.60 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 161, Fr-52, Calico Onza-1262 (for lot 3235), Calico Onza-1264 (for lot 3234).
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- 1814 8 escudos
- 1815-D 1/8 real
- 1815-MO 1/8 real
- 1815-MO ¼ real
- 1815-MO ½ real
- 1815-GA ½ real
- 1815-MO real
- (1815-21) real, c/m by Vicente Guerrero
- 1815-GA 2 reales
- 1815-MO 2 reales
- (1815-21) 2 reales, c/m by Vicente Guerrero
- 1815-GA 4 reales
- 1815-CA 8 reales
- 1815-D 8 reales
- 1815-GA 8 reales
- 1815-MO 8 reales
- 1815-ZS 8 reales
- 1815-MO ½ escudo
- 1815-MO escudo
- 1815-MO 2 escudos
- 1815-MO 4 escudos
- Peru 1815-L JP 8 escudos
- 1816 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1815
- other specimens in The Eliasberg Collection
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822