Mexico 1813-Ga MR 8 escudos
Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $23,000. The catalog description noted,
"1813 MR 8 escudos. Guadalajara mint. VF-30 (NGC). Large uniformed bust of Ferdinand VII/type as above. Medium gold with some toning highlights, dig in obverse field beneath IND and an array of other smaller scattered marks, tiny edge bruise beneath the date, some softness of strike above the mintmark on the reverse. Far finer in a technical sense than the grade suggests, though not perfectly struck. Abundant lustre remains in protected areas, especially on the reverse. The Provisional Mint at Guadalajara issued 8 escudo pieces in only two years: 1813 and 1821. Both dates are represented in the Eliasberg collection. There are two varieties of 1813 GA 8 escudos, of which this is slightly more numerous. The Gerber collection (Part II) contained a specimen of the other variety but not this one. Norweb had a specimen of this variety in similar condition, toned a deep red shade. Karon lacked this date, as did the Iovino sale of 2000, though both had specimens of the 1821 GA issue. A great historical rarity. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .762 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 27.02 grams, 37.7 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Fr-50, Calico Onza-1202, KM 162.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- 1809 8 escudos
- 1813-MO ¼ real
- 1813-MO ½ real
- Oaxaca 1813 1/2 real KM-220.2 Morelos SUD
- Oaxaca 1813 1/2 real KM-221 Morelos
- Tierra Caliente 1813 1/2 real KM-243
- Congreso Americano (1813) real
- 1813-D real
- 1813-MO real
- Oaxaca 1813 real KM-223
- (1813) ½ real, Osorno c/m
- (1813) real, Osorno c/m
- Puebla 1813 real issued by Osorno in Zacatlan
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 2 reales KM-257.2 c/m on a cast 2 reales
- 1813-MO JJ 2 reales
- 1813-MO TH 2 reales
- Mexico 1813 2 reales KM-212 Supreme National Congress
- Mexico 1813 4 reales KM-214 Supreme National Congress
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 4 reales c/m on a cast 4 reales
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 8 reales KM-258.3 c/m on a cast 8 reales
- 1813-CA 8 reales
- 1813-GA 8 reales
- 1813-MO HJ 8 reales
- 1813-MO JJ 8 reales
- 1814 8 escudos
- 1821-Ga 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1813
- other specimens in The Eliasberg Collection.
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822