Mexico 1789-Mo FM 2 escudos
Shown is an 1789MoFM two escudos, one of a type struck 1789-90 at the beginning of the reign the reign of Charles IV. This coin was legal tender in the United States, where it was known as a pistole, and would have traded for $3.75. This specimen was lot 40262 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $8,812. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 2 Escudos, 1789 FM. PCGS Genuine--Holed/Plug, XF Details Secure Holder. Possibly Unique Charles IV Transitional 2 Escudos Charles IV (1788-1808). Transitional issue of Charles IV, with the portrait of Charles III. EXTREMELY RARE as a type and possibly UNIQUE as a date. Of the utmost importance and one of the keys in assembling a type set of Mexico City Colonial gold. Currently we are aware of only three other examples of this transitional type 2 escudos, all of which are dated 1790, ranging in grade from FINE to VERY FINE. This is the only example of this type we are aware of dated 1789. A FINE to VERY FINE example of the 1790 for $32,200 in our January 2008 New York International auction Lot#1602. Pierced and expertly repaired at 12 o'clock, surfaces show evidence of use in suspension."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .875 fine gold, .190 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-39; KM-131; Calico-type-47#388; Lopez-Chaves Sanchez-pg.67#311.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- 1788 2 escudos
- 1789 ½ real, Charles III
- 1789 real, Charles IV
- 1789 2 reales
- 1789 4 reales, Charles III
- 1789 4 reales, Charles IV
- 1789-Mo FM 8 reales, Charles III
- 1789 8 reales
- 1789 escudo
- 1789 4 escudos
- 1789 8 escudos
- 1790 2 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1789
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822