Mexico 1771-Mo MF 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 31243 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $17,625. The catalog description noted, "Charles III gold 8 Escudos 1771 Mo-MF AU55 NGC, Mexico City mint. A pleasingly defined coin with slight high-point wear, attractive surface quality and strong underlying mint luster. Among the four rarest dates of the type, and very elusive in grades approaching Mint State level such as the present example. Among the very finest of the date seen by the cataloguer, this coin is currently the single example currently certified by NGC. Very desirable in this handsome preservation, and a fitting specimen to conclude the incredible run of rat-nose Onzas of the Rudman cabinet. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type, the second showing the "rat nose" bust of Charles III, was struck 1762-71 only. Despite the extended years of production, it is very scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12819, KM 155, Onza-758.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.