Mexico 1770-Mo MF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 31210 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $9,400. The catalog description noted, "Charles III gold 4 Escudos 1770 Mo-MF AU Details NGC, Mexico City mint. A sharply struck and lustrous coin, with evidence of tooling and re-engraving on the edge. Actual wear is limited and some luster remains in the recessed areas, with scattered contact marks on the fields, as expected for the technical designation. The only example of this date seen by the cataloguer, albeit fairly reliable reports of another example do exist. Note however that this date was basically unknown to the numismatic community as late as 1978, since it is not listed in Durst's updated table of the original Pradeau checklist of dates/assayers by denomination (Charles III - Assayer's Supplement on p. 61 of his "Numismatic History" of Mexico 1978 reprint). The only example of the 4 Escudos 1771 Mo-MF known to the cataloguer was plated in the catalog of the Carles Tolra collection (1936) as # 1619. That 1771 is the only one missing in the astonishingly comprehensive Rudman group. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type, the second showing the "rat nose" bust of Charles III, was struck 1762-71 only. Despite the extended years of production, it is very scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 141, Cal-326.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.