Mexico 1769-Mo MF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 31209 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $30,550. The catalog description noted, "Possibly the Only Example in Private Hands. Charles III gold 4 Escudos 1769 Mo-MF AU55 NGC, Mexico City mint. Lustrous and sharply struck, with very slight friction on the higher points. A couple of faint scratches are noted over the bust for accuracy's sake yet a coin with superb eye-appeal. Only two examples of this date have been noted by the cataloguer: The present coin, AU55 NGC; The Banco de Mexico specimen, in holed VF condition. One of the three finest examples of the type by the cataloguer (all of which have been certified as AU55 by NGC), and the only confirmed example of the 1769 date in private hands. Another jewel of the entire Mexican Colonial gold milled series, and certain to become a centerpiece in the lucky next owner's cabinet. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type, the second showing the "rat nose" bust of Charles III, was struck 1762-71 only. Despite the extended years of production, it is very scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 141, Cal-325.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.