Mexico 1768-Mo MF 8 reales
This is one of a series struck 1760-71 during the reign of Charles III (1759-88). Several overdates are noted for the year, 1768/7 and 1768/6. The overdates are rare but the normal date is common. Another variety unique to this year is the placement of either a dot or colon between the 7 and 6 of the date. The second specimen shown here is the colon variety, which is rated extremely rate by Gilboy.
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 grams, 0.917 fine silver, 0.798 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Gilboy M-8-48, KM 105, second specimen Gilboy M-8-48c.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- 1766 8 reales
- 1768 1 real
- 1768 2 reales
- 1768 4 reales
- Bolivia 1768-PTS JR 8 reales
- Chile 1768-So A 8 reales
- Guatemala 1768-G P 8 reales
- Peru 1768-L JM 8 reales
- 1768 2 escudos
- 1768 4 escudos
- 1768 8 escudos
- 1769 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1768
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822