Mexico 1768-Mo MF 4 escudos
"Charles III gold 4 Escudos 1768 Mo-MF F12 NGC, Mexico City mint. Wholesome and attractive for the grade with even wear, decent detail remaining and free of distracting surface marks. Perhaps the more available date of this incredibly elusive type, with 5 confirmed specimens by the cataloguer: The present coin, F12 NGC; The Vidal Quadras coin, # 10196 in the catalog of his collection but unplated in said work; The ex-Eliasberg specimen (ANR 4/2005, lot 3152 for $3,450), plugged VF; The Banco de Mexico specimen, XF; The ex-Medina specimen.All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type, the second showing the "rat nose" bust of Charles III, was struck 1762-71 only. Despite the extended years of production, it is very scarce.
The cataloguer notes another example was offered in the November 1936 issue of Spink's Numismatic Circular as well as lot 1435 in the Lonja del Almidón 3/1936 sale, but it was not plated. These could possibly be the same coins as those previously listed. An affordable unflawed representative of this rare issue, now graced with a legendary pedigree. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12598, KM 141, Cal-324.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.