Mexico 1768-Mo MF 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 30863 in Heritage sale 3029 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $1,880. The catalog description noted, "Carlos III Gold 2 Escudos 1768 Mo-MF, VF30 NGC. The very scarce large bust type with the pronounced nose, often called the 'Rat-Nose' bust type. A few noticeable obverse scrapes, with some remaining luster around the letters of the legend." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type was struck 1762-71 yet, despite the many years of production, is so rare many major collections lack an example.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, .199 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12414, Fr-31, KM 129.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Stuart Levine and Bruce Lorich, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3029, featuring Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection, Part III, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.