Mexico 1766-Mo MF 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 31238 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $3,055. The catalog description noted, "Charles III gold 8 Escudos 1766 Mo-MF AU Details (Scratches, Cleaned) NGC, Mexico City mint. A well-detailed coin with limited actual wear, cleaned long ago and with some scratches near the legends of the obverse defining the grade. A rare date, missing in Gerber and Eliasberg and rated as such in the Onza reference work. Only three examples of his date are currently listed in NGC's census, none of which are in Mint State. An affordable representative of the type, now with a legendary pedigree. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type, the second showing the "rat nose" bust of Charles III, was struck 1762-71 only. Despite the extended years of production, it is very scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12780, KM 155, Onza-752
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.