Mexico 1766-Mo MF 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 31178 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $4,700. The catalog description noted, "Charles III gold 2 Escudos 1766/5 Mo-MF AU50 NGC, Mexico City mint, Clearly a 1766/5 overdate, though not identified as such on the insert. An outstanding example of this rare date, with substantial subdued luster and sharp detail throughout. One of the nicest seen of the entire type, together with the ex-Huntington example dated 1769 (Morton and Eden, 3/2013 lot 288 hammered for GBP3,000) and the ex-Eliasberg example dated 1767 (ANR 4/2005 lot 3150 hammered for $4,400). The latter piece (graded AU53 NGC) and the present coin are the highest currently certified by NGC. Very rare and desirable in this charming quality. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type, the second showing the "rat nose" bust of Charles III, was struck 1762-71 only. Despite the extended years of production, it is very scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, .199 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12406, KM 129 (unlisted as an overdate), cf. Cal-467 (unlisted overdate).
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.