Mexico 1763-Mo MM 8 escudos
"Mexico. 8 Escudos, 1763-Mo-MM. Carlos III. Bust right. Reverse: Crowned arms, Order of Golden Fleece around. Original luster and rare. NGC graded AU-58.
"The son of Philip V and Elizabeth Farnese, Charles III was king of Spain from 1759-1788. A contemporary of Frederick the Great of Prussia, Louis XV and XVI of France, and Maria Theresa of Austria. Charles is regarded as one of the more 'enlightened despots' of his time, and certainly the greatest of the Bourbon kings. His reign is noted for its administrative and economic reforms, and especially the expulsion of the Jesuits. He tried to keep Spain from getting pulled into the assorted nationalistic wars that never ceased to afflict Europe in the 18th century. Initially, during the Seven Years' War, Charles kept Spain neutral, only to come on in the end on France's side and share her defeat. From this Spain lost Florida to England, but on the other hand, by secret treaty with France acquired the latter's Louisiana territory."
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 27.04 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12760, Fr-29; KM 155.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- 1762 8 escudos
- 1763 2 reales
- 1763-MM 4 reales
- 1763-MF 8 reales
- 1763-MM 8 reales
- 1763 1 escudo
- 1763 2 escudos
- 1763 4 escudos
- Chile 1763-So J 8 escudos
- Colombia 1763-NR JV 8 escudos
- Colombia 1763-PN J 8 escudos
- Peru 1763-L JM 8 escudos
- 1764 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1763
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822