Mexico 1761-Mo MM escudo
This specimen was lot 31140 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $12,925. The catalog description noted, "Finest Extant of Type. Charles III gold Escudo 1761/0 Mo-MM MS63 NGC, Mexico City mint, Choice Uncirculated with essentially full mint bloom and only few surface contact marks. Currently the single highest certified of the type by NGC by 5 numerical grades, by far the finest seen of the type by the cataloguer and in all probability the finest extant (of the type). To quote the description in the sale catalog of the Norweb collection when this example was last offered to public consideration, a 'delightful little coin!' Immensely desirable in this choice preservation, and a coin bound to attract sustained bidding competition. Ex. Norweb collection (Christie's Dallas 5/1985, lot 88 for $2,860), From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type, the first showing the bust of Charles III, was struck 1760-61 only. It is the rarest of the escudos featuring king Charles III.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .917 fine gold, .100 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12209, KM 116, cf. Cal-633 (unlisted overdate).
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.