Mexico 1761-Mo MM 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 31202 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $3,995. The catalog description noted, "Charles III gold 4 Escudos 1761 Mo-MM VF Details (Holed) NGC, Mexico City mint, A rather appealing coin despite the defect noted on the insert, with even wear and limited handling marks throughout, neatly holed near 12 o'clock. The more elusive date of this very rare type, with only 4 specimens confirmed by the cataloguer (one of which, the plugged Calico plate coin, hammered for E3,000 recently (Hervera 2/2015, lot 709). Also, missing from the Eliasberg, Norweb, and Gerber sales. The cataloguer notes no examples are currently listed in the combined census of the major third party grading services (they only list non-detailed coins), although the Ex. Huntington coin might be a candidate for it. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type, the first showing the bust of Charles III, was struck 1760-61 only. It is the rarest of the four escudos featuring king Charles III.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12578, KM 140, Cal-317.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.