Mexico 1760-Mo MM 4 reales KM-95
The first specimen was lot 31165 in Heritage sale 3035 (Long Beach, September 2014), where it sold for $998.75. The catalog description noted, "Ferdinand VI Pillar 4 Reales 1760 Mo-MM AU Details (Surface Hairlines) NGC, Mexico City Mint. Boldly struck, with no egregious flaws. The final year issue of this conditionally rare type." This date is recorded for Ferdinand VI (shown here) and Charles III (ruled 1759-88). It is a common date for both types. Assayer MM is recorded for 1755-64.
The four reales is the scarcest colonial denomination although all dates are available except for the very rare 1732 and 1733 dates. Harris lists the Charles III pillar four reales in order of abundance: Mexico, Potosi, Guatemala, Lima (scarce), Santiago (very rare). Specimens in high grade are very rare.
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .917 fine silver, .399 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10540, Gilboy M-4-34a, Calico-432, KM 95.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, and Warren Tucker, Heritage Signature Auction 3035, World and Ancient Coins, featuring the FoxLair Collection and the Law Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- 1759 4 reales
- 1760 ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1760 ½ real Charles III
- 1760 real Ferdinand VI
- 1760 real Charles III
- 1760 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1760 2 reales Charles III
- 1760 4 reales Charles III
- 1760 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1760 8 reales Charles III
- 1760 1 escudo
- 1760 2 escudos
- 1760 4 escudos
- 1760 8 escudos
- 1761 4 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1760
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822