Mexico 1751-Mo MF 4 reales
This specimen was lot 6914 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $164.50. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 4 Reales, 1751-MF. Ferdinand VI (1746-59). NGC Fine Details--Excessive Surface Hairlines. VERY RARE date, with few examples known. This date missing from the Gerber, Norweb, & Patterson collections. Circulated and cleaned but with no major scratches or adverse marks. Ex: Ponterio & Associates Sale #128 November 11, 2003, Lot #489." The four reales is the scarcest colonial denomination although all dates are available except for the very rare 1732 and 1733 dates. Harris lists the Ferdinand VI pillar four reales in order of abundance: Mexico, Guatemala, Lima (scarce). Specimens in high grade are very rare.
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, 0.917 fine silver, 0.399 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10494, KM-95; Cal-Type 97 #422; Gil-M-4-24.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2017.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.