Mexico 1750-Mo MF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 31113 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $2,820. The catalog description noted, "Ferdinand VI gold 4 Escudos 1750/48 Mo-MF AU Details (Obverse Repaired) NGC, Mexico City mint. Rather sharply detailed, with a very clear overdate and evidence of tooling on the obverse defining the grade. The reverse remains very attractive with old orange-gold patina and significant remaining luster. A decent example of this very rare overdate variety, and one of very few specimens seen by the cataloguer, with no specimens listed on the current combined census of the major third party grading services. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." This type was struck 1748-51 and is the first of three types featuring Ferdinand VI, who died in 1759. In 1752, the "4 S" was dropped from the reverse. Altho this portrait is available in some numbers with the Santiago mintmark, it remains very rare from Mexico.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10798, Fr-18, KM 137, cf. Cal-107 (unlisted overdate).
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.