Mexico 1748-Mo MF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 3121 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $14,950. The catalog description noted, "1748 MF 4 escudos. AU-55 (NGC). Types as above. Lustrous medium gold with some peripheral reflectivity, small dark toning spot on point of bust, positively choice. A really exceptional specimen of the date or type. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."
All Mexican colonial gold coinage may be considered scarce. This very rare type was struck 1748-51. It was superseded by KM 138, issued 1752-56, with a smaller bust of the king and no "4 S" on the reverse.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 grams, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW. This specimen: 13.48 grams, 30.20 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10790, KM 137, Fr-18.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Harper, David C. [Ed.], North American Coins & Prices, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.