Mexico 1748-Mo MF 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 3122 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $2,530. The catalog description noted, "1748 MF 2 escudos. Mexico City mint. EF-45 (NGC). Similar types as above, small head. Medium yellow gold and attractive for the level of wear. Problem free, noticeably repunched 8 in date. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."
All Mexican colonial gold may be considered scarce. This type was struck 1748-51. It was superseded by KM 126.2, struck 1752-56, which dropped the "2 S" on the reverse. The "2 S" was restored in 1773.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, .199 troy oz AGW. This specimen: 6.73 grams, 22.70 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10738, Fr-19, KM 126.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.