Mexico 1747-Mo M real KM-75.2
This date is one of a series struck 1742-47 for Philip V. It is from the last year reales were issued under Philip V (PHS), and during 1747 reales were also minted under Ferdinand VI. It is distinguished from earlier issues (KM 75.1, struck 1732-41) of pillar one reales by having the crowned shield extend to the rim, and possessing a more abbreviated legend. The variety shown is a 1747/6 overdate, the 6 barely visible. The crossbar on the H of HISP is also very weak, thus this coin may be represntative of two different varieties for the year ('unbarred H').
Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 grams, .917 fine silver, .099 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-8601, Gilboy M-1-19a, KM 75.2.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2017.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- 1746 1 real
- Guatemala 1747-G J real
- 1747 ½ real Philip V
- 1747 ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo 1 real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo 2 reales Philip V
- 1747-Mo 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF 4 reales Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF 4 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF 8 reales Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF escudo Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF escudo Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF 2 escudos Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF 2 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF 4 escudos Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF 4 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF 8 escudos Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF 8 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1748 1 real
- Coins and currency dated 1747
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822