Mexico 1747-Mo MF escudo Fr-16
The first specimen was lot 21504 in Heritage sale 3010 (Boston, August 2010), where it sold for $2,875. The catalog description noted, "Ferdinand VI gold Escudo 1747MF, lightly toned AVF, light scratch on the bust but quite attractive. Very rare one-year type with armored bust right." The second specimen was lot 31084 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $4,935. The catalog description noted, "Ferdinand VI gold Escudo 1747 Mo-MF XF45 NGC, Mexico City mint, KM 114, Cal-212. Most attractive for the designation with highly lustrous surfaces, gorgeous old reddish patina and attractive surface quality despite a slightly soft strike of the obverse. The reverse's eye-appeal is absolutely delightful. The finest seen of the type by the cataloguer and the highest currently certified by NGC. A greatly desirable coin, with a superb pedigree. Ex. Norweb Collection (Christie's Dallas 5/1985, lot 53), From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." This is a very rare "imaginary bust" type issued only in Mexico and only in 1747 while awaiting official hubs of the new king, Ferdinand VI. The two escudos and eight escudos of this bust were major trophies of the Eliasberg collection.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .917 fine gold, .100 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 114, Cayón-10692.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Tucker, Warren, Scott Cordry and John Kraljevich, Heritage Sale 3010: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- 1746 escudo
- 1747-MO ½ real Philip V
- 1747-MO ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 1 real Philip V
- 1747-MO 1 real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 2 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF escudo Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 8 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1748 escudo
- Coins and currency dated 1747
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822