Mexico 1747-Mo MF escudo Fr-11
This specimen was lot 31020 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $19,975. The catalog description noted, "Extremely Rare Posthumous Final Date of Type, Philip V gold Escudo 1747 Mo-MF AU55 NGC, Mexico City mint. A well-preserved coin with slight wear on the higher points defining the grade, strong luster and the few surface contact marks expected for the designation. Extremely rare with three confirmed examples by the cataloguer, this being the finest seen (and the only one currently listed in NGC's census). Missing in Norweb, Gerber and Eliasberg and almost all other major sales that were reviewed. In fact, the cataloguer could only trace one offering in the past 35 years: the sale of this same coin as part of the Miguel Munoz collection in the early 1980's. As a final proof of the elusiveness of this final posthumous date of the type, the cataloguer notes its absence from the Banco de Mexico collection. As noted previously, the finest of three known, an immensely desirable coin with a great historical importance and a well-established pedigree. Ex. Munoz Collection (Superior 6/1981, lot 901), From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." This type was struck in Mexico 1732-47 and is not rare tho not cheap.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .917 fine gold, .100 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9622, Cal-532, Fr-11, KM 113.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- 1746 escudo
- 1747-MO ½ real Philip V
- 1747-MO ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 1 real Philip V
- 1747-MO 1 real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 2 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF escudo Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 8 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 escudos Ferdinand VI
- Coins and currency dated 1747
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822