Mexico 1747-Mo MF 8 escudos Fr-8
This specimen was lot 31083 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $11,750. The catalog description noted, "Philip V gold 8 Escudos 1747 Mo-MF AU Details (Polished) NGC, Mexico City mint. A sharply detailed coin, now toned over surfaces lightly polished long ago. 1747 was a transition year for the Mexico mint with two different issues minted bearing that date. A posthumous series of coins - king Philip V has passed away on July 9, 1746 - bearing the bust and legends of Philip V was initially struck in the beginning of 1747 before the Royal Ordinance sent from Madrid on July 31, 1746 - and instructing to change the coinage legends and design for the new King Ferdinand VI - was received in Mexico in May that year. All of these 1747-dated posthumous coins are of equivalent or greater rarity than their more famous counterparts struck later in that year with the imaginary bust of Ferdinand VI. A complete set of all four denominations such as the one included in the Rudman collection had, to the knowledge of the cataloguer, never been assembled previously. The very rare final posthumous date of the Philip V type - rarer than the rightly celebrated 1747 Ferdinand VI issue - with few specimens known among which this is surely one of the better pedigreed examples. Ex. Munoz collection (Superior 6/1981, lot 771), From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." The SCWC awards only a slight premium for this date of this type struck in Mexico 1732-47.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10092, KM 148, Onza-446, Fr-8.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- 1746 8 escudos
- 1747-MO ½ real Philip V
- 1747-MO ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 1 real Philip V
- 1747-MO 1 real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 2 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF escudo Philip V
- 1747-MO MF escudo Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 8 escudos Ferdinand VI
- Coins and currency dated 1747
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822