Mexico 1747-Mo MF 8 escudos Fr-13
"1747 MF 8 escudos. Mexico City mint. AU-53 (NGC). Large armored bust of Fernando VI to right, legends around, date below/crowned arms divide assayer's mark and denomination, garter around arms, legends and mintmark around. Deep golden surfaces with attractive orange toning in the peripheral regions, abundant lustre on both sides, somewhat reflective inside rims, no notable adjustment marks that are so often found on this shallowly-cut design type though scrutiny reveals a few minor planchet lines at the date. An exceptional specimen of a famous rarity in the Mexican series. Beyond a very thin scratch from collar to N of IND and a tiny pit under T of ET on obverse, there are no significant flaws. While a rare issue, most advanced collections have included a specimen of this famous locally designed bust type, which makes quality considerations paramount— this piece is essentially equivalent to the Gerber specimen and finer than the heavily adjusted Norweb coin. The Karon piece was called 'finest known' but appears also roughly equivalent to this coin in terms of detail, lustre, and eye appeal. The Iovino sale coin was more worn. All in all, this ranks with the best we have traced and would be a perfect coin around which to build a great Mexican collection. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."Similar "imaginary" bust designs exist for 1747 one, two and four escudos; all are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 27.02 grams, 36.60 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10841, KM 149, Fr-13, Calico Onza-596.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- 1744 8 escudos
- 1747-MO ½ real Philip V
- 1747-MO ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 1 real Philip V
- 1747-MO 1 real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 2 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF escudo Philip V
- 1747-MO MF escudo Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 8 escudos Philip V
- 1748 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1747
- other specimens in The Eliasberg Collection
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822