Mexico 1747-Mo MF 4 reales KM-95
The specimen shown was lot 1269 in Sedwick sale 11 (Winter Park, FL, April 2011), where it sold for $517.50. The catalog description noted, "Mexico City, Mexico, pillar 4 reales, Ferdinand VI, 1747MF, E/R error. Rare error in legend (R4 in Gilboy), bold and frosty XF with minimal toning, slightly off-center pillars side." The four reales is the scarcest colonial denomination although all dates are available except for the very rare 1732 and 1733 dates. Harris lists the Ferdinand VI pillar four reales in order of abundance: Mexico, Guatemala, Lima (scarce). Specimens in high grade are very rare. Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .917 fine silver, .399 troy oz ASW, this specimen 13.4 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10476, KM-95; CT-417, Gilboy M-4-20.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 11, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2012.
- 1746 4 reales
- 1747-MO ½ real Philip V
- 1747-MO ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 1 real Philip V
- 1747-MO 1 real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 2 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF escudo Philip V
- 1747-MO MF escudo Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 8 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1748 4 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1747
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771