Mexico 1747-Mo MF 4 reales KM-94
This is one of a series struck 1732-47 during the reign of Philip V (1700-46). This issue is considered by Gilboy to be very rare. There are no listed varieties. It is a posthumus issue, as Philip V died in 1746, but this information had not yet reached the Mexico City mint. The four reales is the scarcest colonial denomination although all dates are available except for the very rare 1732 and 1733 dates. Harris lists the Ferdinand VI pillar four reales in order of abundance: Mexico, Guatemala, Lima (scarce). Specimens in high grade are very rare. Mexican numismatists hotly debate which side of the coin constitutes the obverse. Gilboy depicts the shield side as the obverse as that side bears the king's name. However, auction catalogs and dealer listings more frequently use the pillars and globes side as the obverse, as that side bears the date.
Specification: 13.54 g, 0.917 fine silver, 0.399 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9164, Gilboy M-4-19, KM 94.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2017.
- Harper, David C., ed., North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U. S., Canadian and Mexican Coins, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Harris, Robert P., Pillars & Portraits, San José, CA: Bonanza Press, 1968.
- 1744 4 reales
- 1746 4 reales
- 1747 ½ real Philip V
- 1747 ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo 1 real Philip V
- 1747-Mo 1 real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo 2 reales Philip V
- 1747-Mo 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF 4 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF 8 reales Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF escudo Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF escudo Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF 2 escudos Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF 2 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF 4 escudos Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF 4 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-Mo MF 8 escudos Philip V
- 1747-Mo MF 8 escudos Ferdinand VI
- Coins and currency dated 1747
- On the Pillar Coinage of Mexico, 1732-1771
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822