Mexico 1747-Mo MF 4 escudos Fr-9
This specimen was lot 31059 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $3,525. The catalog description noted, "Philip V gold 4 Escudos 1747 Mo-MF VF Details (Mount Removed, Cleaned) NGC, Mexico City mint. Tooling on mounting spots at 3 and 9 o'clock on the reverse point to a previous use in a brooch, while the surfaces exhibit the usual characteristics from previous use in jewelry. The details are rather sharp for the designation, and actual wear is in fact limited. The excessively rare final date of this type, struck early in 1747 before reception in Mexico of the Royal Ordinance of July 31, 1746 which informed of Philip V's death and ordered to strike coinage featuring the new king Ferdinand VI's name thereafter. All coins of Philip V dated 1747 are in fact rarer than their counterparts of the same date featuring the young imaginary bust of Ferdinand VI. One of only two known to the cataloguer, with no actual examples traced in Burzio's Diccionario, and a coin of great historical significance despite the noted defects. Ex. Cayon (4/2003, lot 2890 where it was described as "unique" and hammered for a remarkable E15,000) From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." The SCWC lists this type for 1732-46 and does not mention the 1747.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9865, KM 135, Cal-253, Fr-9.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- 1746 4 escudos
- 1747-MO ½ real Philip V
- 1747-MO ½ real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 1 real Philip V
- 1747-MO 1 real Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO 2 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO 2 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 4 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 reales Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF escudo Philip V
- 1747-MO MF escudo Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 2 escudos Ferdinand VI
- 1747-MO MF 4 escudos Ferdinand VI
- Spain 1747-S PJ 4 escudos
- 1747-MO MF 8 escudos Philip V
- 1747-MO MF 8 escudos Ferdinand VI
- Coins and currency dated 1747
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822