Mexico 1745-Mo MF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 31057 in Heritage sale 3041 (Chicago, August 2015), where it sold for $1,997.50. The catalog description noted, "Philip V gold 4 Escudos 1745 Mo-MF AU Details (Removed from Jewelry) NGC, Mexico City mint. Well detailed and partially lustrous, yet removed from a ring mount and with the typical jewelry surfaces. A much scarcer date of the type, also represented by mounted examples in the Norweb and Eliasberg collections, and missing in the Gerber group. The specialist will note that no non-details graded examples of this date are currently certified by NGC. From The Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins." The SCWC lists this type for 1732-46 and does not mention the 1747.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9862, KM 135, Cal-251, Fr-9.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World & Ancient Coins Auction 3041, featuring the Eric Beckman Collection of Canadian Coins, the Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins and the Rudman Collection of Mexican Coins, Part I, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.